In all employment relationships, there is the possibility that the employer or the employee wishes to end the arrangement. In the event the employer decides that the participant must be released prior to the end of the defined work-based learning experience, the employer is responsible for informing both the high school and Workforce Solutions. The decision to terminate the participant’s employment is entirely at the discretion of the employer for cause or convenience. The work-based learning participant may also voluntarily resign. In all cases, partners recognize that terminating the relationship may affect the participant’s high school graduation plan.
In the event the termination is for cause, it is understood that:
- The employee has received clear guidance and has understanding (by way of the employee handbook and onboarding activities) of the requirements of the position, including standards of conduct and progressive discipline policies of the employer.
- The employer will inform the participant prior to termination of the reason for termination and provide a copy to the education partner and Workforce Solutions.
- All customary and normal employer efforts to maintain the employment of the student worker will be made in the same manner the employer affords any other employee.
If the employee is terminated for convenience, it is understood that:
- The employer will communicate with the education partner and Workforce Solutions at the earliest opportunity prior to termination to enable alternative arrangements.
If the employee voluntarily resigns, it is understood that:
- The employer will communicate with the high school and Workforce Solutions when notified by the employee of their intent to resign, or within three working days after the student fails to report to work.