Texas Rising Star Program
Texas Rising Star (TRS) Provider certification is a process for improving the quality of child care services provided in Workforce Solutions of West Central Texas’ 19 county Service Delivery Area. A Texas Rising Star Provider is a child care provider that has an agreement with the Board's Child Care Services (CCS) Contractor to serve families receiving CCS assistance and that voluntarily meets requirements that exceed the State's Minimum Licensing Standards for child care facilities. The Texas Rising Star Provider certification system provides graduated levels of certification as providers meet progressively higher certification requirements.
Certification as a Texas Rising Star Provider is available to Licensed Center, Licensed Child Care Home, and Registered Child Care Home providers who meet the certification criteria. The process improves the quality of child care provided, not only to CCS-subsidized children, but to all children enrolled in certified facilities.
The benefits to being a Texas Rising Star Provider include:
- TRS providers offer a higher quality of care, which benefits children and families and may ultimately promote their program
- Child Protective Services (CPS) requires that CPS children be placed only with TRS providers
- TRS providers may have access to additional training
- TRS providers are eligible for higher reimbursement rates from CCS
Providers interested in the TRS program can read an overview of the program. Contact us for more information about the TRS program, or to apply to be a TRS provider.
Texas Government Code §2308.3171 defines a “quality child care indicator” as any appropriate indicator of quality services, including if the provider is:
- A Texas Rising Star (TRS) certified provider;
- Accredited by a nationally recognized accrediting organization approved by the Texas Workforce Commission;
- Kindergarten Readiness System certified; or
- Participating in the Texas School Ready! Project.